Search Manic Mark's Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2017

A Night At Kitty's - Herbie Fields Sextet

You Go To My Head
A Night At Kitty's
Herbie Fields' Sextet
Cover Photography by Mike Tatem, posed by Flo Williams
RKO Unique ULP 124
1957

Production of this album was made possible by Buddy De Long of Kitty's Show Bar and Nat Room. Original recording by Robert Buchsbaum of Coronet Recording Co., Columbus, Ohio.

Personnel:
Herbie Fields – Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Baritone Sax, also Clarinet
Joe Black – Piano
Bob De Nardo – Guitar
Lon Norman – Trombone
Tiny Mazza – Bass
Frank Root – Drums

From the back cover: This album is a typical grouping of the complete variety of tunes you might hear the Sextet play during one of their nightly sessions at Kitty's Show Bar in Columbus, Ohio. All of these tunes were actually recorded during one evening at the popular nightspot where the best musical groups in the country are featured, so whether or not you're lucky enough to go and hear the group in person, you can still enjoy their swing-to-sweet renditions with this on-the-spot recording. – Larry Meeks

Take The "A" Train
Satin Doll
Undecided
Song From "Moulin Rouge"
Bernie's Tune
Dark Horse
You Go To My Head
Memories Of You
How High The Moon
Mambo Inn
Green Eyes
Flying Home
Soprano Boogie

3 comments:

  1. I worked at Kitty's Show Bar in 1967!! I was a waitress in the front part and at times I showcased as a Go Go Dancer in the back bar when I was not serving. I can't believe I found this blog! Such memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found thi LP at a shop in downtown idlewile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat Roop helped my dad on the vinyl cut

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!