Search Manic Mark's Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Stonepillow - Eleazar's Circus

Coat Of Many Colors
Stonepillow
Elezar's Circus
Composed and Written By Lor Crane and Jay Zimmet
Phase 4 Stereo
London SP 44123
1968

First, this is not a picture disc, but a printed cover that sort of makes you think the groovy flower circle is die-cut.

Second... how do I write anything here without taking some blotter acid?

While I was listening to this Phase 4, I kept wondering what possessed London to produce an album like this?  Was the idea born out of a collective emerging musical rock opera trend or by a single album? When I listened to the sample track above, I was reminded of Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat which seems to have burst onto the scene at the same time, almost exactly the same time.

Most references to the release date of this album, online, are 1969, but the date printed on the jacket is 1968. "Joseph" was first presented as a 15 minute pop cantata in London in 1968 and then recorded as a concept album in 1969.

But then the plot thickens... I noted one post who mentioned this song as a cover of Dolly Parton's theme. What? I look this up... Dolly's album, by the same name, was released in 1971. The lyrics are completely different. But it's on the internet... it has to be true!

Or did the producers take their cue directly from the Hebrew Bible?

Maybe I am writing this on acid. Anyway, the tie-in to this blog (other than... hey... I found this record)... is that it is a Phase 4 release.

Transcontinental Depress
There's Good News Tonight
Green George
Strange Times
Coat Of Many Colors
The Eternity Track
Swing The Rose
Dr. Love
Eleazar's Circus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!